VISIT THE HIPPY'S NEW SITE: www.northlondonhippy.com Spend some time chilling out with the hippy...He used to be "the most shroomtastic stoner on the internet!" until the UK banned fresh magic mushrooms. He's still "the biggest internet celebrity you've never heard of!" He'll make you laugh, he'll make you think...he'll make you wish you were a hippy too!

Monday, July 05, 2004

Quarter to four AM, Sunday night into Monday and I am one tired hippy. When I finish this morning, I'll have a hundred hours under my belt over 8 nights, with one more 14 hour shift to go. I am really feeling it tonight. I probably even look tired.

When I finally get paid for all this, of course it will be worth it, but right now, I'm feeling more than a bit fucked.

I'm with employer number 2 this evening and they do not want me to stop working with them. They like me too, so much so, that they are offering me a bit more money, as well as possibly shortening the shift a bit. Wow, I didn't expect that.

I thought if I registered my observations and complaints about the situation here, it would end things, but it hasn't. They've listened and they might be in a position to do something about it. Wouldn't that be something?

They'll still never match the pay and conditions of employer number one, but it's certainly given me something to think about. Maybe I will keep doing a couple of shifts a month here. We'll have to see what their final offer is and decide from there.

I was involved in some street theater earlier. As I walked from the tube to the office, a very agitation and disturbed homeless person approached me. He was crying hysterically and talking to himself when I clocked him, naturally he made a bee-line straight for me. I didn't get most of what he was saying, because he was crying so much, but basically he was demanding money. I didn't give him any, and tried to walk away.

He grabbed my shoulder from behind and said he was "going to fucking kill me". I did a pivot and swing move which brought my right fist hard into contact with his face and he quickly ran off. This could have been a lot worse.

I wasn't so much upset as I was shaken; you don't expect this sort of thing to happen to you on a bright & sunny summer Sunday evening, especially in this neighbourhood. I lived in NYC in the mid 80's, which was a really bad time in the Big Apple. Events like this were common occurrences back then and I've had to fend off my share of nutters, just not in a long time.

That's the problem, the gov't closed all the asylums years ago and the severely mentally ill are free to roam the streets. "Care in the community" is what they call it, a bloody and potentially dangerous nuisance would be my label on the situation.

I shouldn't have to fight with people just to get to work. I can't recall the last time I actually committed an act of physical violence against anyone. I don't want to be in that situation ever again.

Oh god, I am tired. If you said "sleep" to me 3 times right now, I probably would. Roll on Tuesday morning, roll on some quality time with my pillows.
Comments: Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?