VISIT THE HIPPY'S NEW SITE: www.northlondonhippy.com Spend some time chilling out with the hippy...He used to be "the most shroomtastic stoner on the internet!" until the UK banned fresh magic mushrooms. He's still "the biggest internet celebrity you've never heard of!" He'll make you laugh, he'll make you think...he'll make you wish you were a hippy too!

Monday, February 21, 2005

Stop press!

I’m back again kids, but for a reason. I’ve got some very sad news to share with you, which only just dropped on the news wires.

Dr. Hunter S. Thompson is dead. He committed suicide tonight. He shot himself in the head. He was 67 years old and is survived by his son Juan and his wife.

You can read the wire report right HERE.

His most famous book, “Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas” is one of my personal favourites and his writing has been a major influence on me and my life.

I first read that book as a teenager and it changed my life. His work was influential, he was influential. He took drugs, he told the truth and he lived his life exactly the way he wanted, and fuck anyone else who disagreed. He was a true original.

He was one of my heroes. Yes, I still have heroes, well, one less hero now. I’d always thought his presence could be felt in the spirit of this blog. I wouldn’t be the hippy if it wasn’t for him and I owe him a debt of gratitude and my personal thanks.

His writing is fantastic, if you haven’t read anything he’s written, shame on you, but it’s not too late. His work will live on for generations; I strongly recommend you check it out.

Sadly, I don’t have enough time to really do the good doctor justice now, but I’m sure I’ll write more when I have the chance. I had always hoped someday to meet him and share a spliff. I’ll never have the chance now.

Hunter, we loved you and you’ll be missed tremendously. The world is a much more bleak and dreary place for your passing. If there’s an afterlife, I hope they racked up the tequila and cocaine for you before you arrived!
Comments: Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?