VISIT THE HIPPY'S NEW SITE: www.northlondonhippy.com Spend some time chilling out with the hippy...He used to be "the most shroomtastic stoner on the internet!" until the UK banned fresh magic mushrooms. He's still "the biggest internet celebrity you've never heard of!" He'll make you laugh, he'll make you think...he'll make you wish you were a hippy too!

Saturday, July 16, 2005

Hello and welcome to the northlondonhippy blog. I hope you enjoy your stay. Don't forget to visit our well-stocked giftshop as you're leaving. Who wouldn't want a northlondonhippy keepsake or souvenir?

From Monday, 18th July, my beloved magic mushrooms will be a "class A" substance here in the UK. I've not ordered any before the deadline, so for me they are already banned. Ok, I do have a tiny bit tucked away, which were accidentally dried, but those are probably no good any more anyway and I might as well trash them. So that's it, adios shrooms, it was great while it lasted!

I was a major proponent of safe, responsible shroom consumption and used this blog as a forum for my views. As someone with a minor following on the internet (major surely!), I feel it is my responsibility to provide my view of the situation.

The Entheogen Defense Fund is continuing to fight this silly and unjust legislation. To add your support, click on the link. There is still a chance, however slim that this ill conceived law could be overturned by the EU. Here's hopin' and prayin' and wishin' and dreamin' to that one, fuckers!

My view is simple, choosing to break a law is a matter of personal choice. The speed limit is law, yet all of us who drive are guilty of breaking it at one time or another. Weed is foolishly illegal, yet I continue to smoke it with abandon.

Though here's the difference, weed is currently "class C" and before that, "class B", "class A" is a whole other ballgame. The penalties for class A drugs, which also include heroin and cocaine, are very stiff and severe. To me, as good as shrooms are, they are not worth the relative risk.

This is why, from this day forward, I will NO LONGER BE THE MOST SHROOMTASTIC STONER ON THE INTERNET!

Yes, you read that correctly, I'm giving up my self-proclaimed title and status. I've thought about this for a long time now and it just wouldn't be right to use the term "shroomtastic" to describe myself any more. It would be false advertising as well as possibly attracting the wrong kind of attention.

Blame the British government and their knee-jerk reaction to a modest commercial market in fresh magic mushrooms, truffles and grow kits.

But what this means in real terms to the blog is that this hippy needs a brand new tagline. Maybe you can help! If you have any suggestions, please email them to me at northlondonhippy@yahoo.co.uk

There's no prize for this one, except the pleasure in possessing the knowledge that your suggestion is the winner and will appear on the top of my blog! Yippppeeeeeee

In other news:

It's been blisteringly hot here in my little corner of north London for the last week or so, which means my purchase of a portable airconditioner has continued to be a good one. I'm one cool hippy, my fuckers! I'm sitting next to it now, as I type my special brand of drivel. Brrrrrrrr, baby!

I ordered my 12" iBook a couple of days ago and it's already been shipped. I spec'd it up slightly, with the 80gb hard drive (instead of 30gb) and I went for the very useful bluetooth option.

It's shipping with the basic 256mb of RAM, though it is expandable to 1.25gb. In other words, there's one additional slot for a max of 1gb. Apple wanted £340 for this upgrade, but Crucial Memory charge 88 quid for the same size RAM. For £250 quid, I can install it myself, it doesn't look that tricky, though if I fuck it up, say goodbye to the warranty. The fuckers. I'll risk it and gamble for that sort of saving.

I've also ordered a neoprene case for it, thKensingtonon Bluetooth PocketMouse (small, portable and tracks on any surface) and since I was doing all this through my Union discount, I was offered the chance to buy Microsoft Office for Mac for about 75% off, which made it a bargain. Normally it's like 400 quid, so it is a real savings for what I know is a very useful product.

I received the email that it was shipped today, so the absolute earliest it could arrive is Monday, but that is very optimistic, with Tuesday or Wednesday being more likely. Once I install a few key bits of software and add it to my network, I should be wirelessly online with it in no time flat. I already have airport express, so adding it should be a piece of piss. I can't wait.

It's turning out to be quite a financially rewarding summer for me, work-wise, so I can afford to treat myself to this luxury. Yipppeee to that!

I was going to write a bit about the London bombing and thidentificationon of the British born suspects, but there are far better articles to read in the newspapers for me to bother commenting. Perhaps it's just fear fatigue. I tired of being scared by the whole thing. I was suppose to meet my younger brother in town for lunch last week, but ended ucancelingng. Not because of fear, though inconvenience may have played a part. It doesn't really matter, the point is I haven't been back on the tube since the blasts.

I don't ride the tube that much these days anyway, so it's not a big deal, I just think there's a certaidefiancece to riding it now. My brother has taken a few journeys, outside of rush hour and reports that the trains remain fairly empty.

If you have to commute by tube, tough shit, you don't have a choice, but the daytrippers, shoppers, lunchers and the like, they do have a choice and they seem to be staying home.

To me, when your number is up, that's it and no amount of avoidance will save you. My advice, is live your life, do whatever you want to do. If you don't, you might really be letting the terrorists win.

I can't believe I just said that. I let the terrorists win all the time. Mrs. H has suggested we take holidays in places like Egypt and Turkey and I've vetoed them on the basis that western tourists are terrorist targets.

I've been proven right, as today's suicide bus bombing in Turkey and prior recent attacks in Egypt will demonstrate. So the terrorists have won with me, but my ass is still attached. On this point, I'm happy to let Al Qaeda and it's associates get the better of me.

Perhaps sometimes, letting the terrorists win, is the smart response. Let's face it, if you can avoid the tube or like me, you have the luxury of driving to your London-based job, you should and will!

Life, post September 11, 2001 is different, even if it is only in small ways. If you've been barefoot in an airport, you will know exactly what I mean.

Think about this, if you see a young Muslim out and about in London, perhaps with a rucksack slung over his shoulder, will you look at him the same way you did on the 6th of July? Of course you won't.

Life is change, change can be good, change can be bad. Change is change, it is the only one true constant. The one thing I can promise you is that over time, everything changes. You're changing right now and you don't even feel it. Unless you're like me and rapidly becoming old and decrepit!

God, all this is making me want to kick back, spark up a spliff and not worry about anything. What's the point of worrying anyway? It gets you nowhere and whatever is going to happen, is going to happen whether you waste your energy worrying about it or not.

Anyone else care to join me in getting high?
Comments: Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?